Monday 4 March 2013

Going sugar-free

Today marks one week of me having given up sugar. This is a pretty big deal because I like sweet things a lot, as the title of this blog hints. However, it was getting to the point I was comfort eating a lot, lots of pastries, chocolate and biscuits, and even the not obviously sweet food was mostly prepackaged and full of preservatives. I would keep trying to eat healthily and then have a not-so-good day so get a big pack of chocolates. When I read something online about someone who gave up sugar for three months and started to sleep really well I decided that a lax attitude to healthy eating is not getting me anywhere, so maybe a really strict attitude will, though not a diet, because I am very distrustful of dieting.
It's actually gone really well, apart from a slip-up on saturday when I forgot that cranberry juice is actually cranberry juice drink and so has sugar in, the sugar rush from that was pretty intense after 5 days without any. I discovered nearly everything I eat has sugar in, so I've been making a lot more from scratch, and I've ended up eating more vegetables than before, which is good. Because of my medication I also can't drink alcohol, which is annoying in pubs as nearly everything has sugar or alcohol in, but I've been drinking lots of coffee, peppermint tea and green tea with jasmine. I think I may end up losing weight because of this, but that's not why I'm doing it, I just want to feel healthier and sleep better. I will start eating sugar again, after a while, but not in the same quantities, and I'll try to stay away from white bread and food that's full of preservatives too.
This is what a typical day without sugar looks like for me:

Breakfast:
Banana
Tea
Porridge

Lunch:
Brown bagel with cheese and spicy hummus
Carrot sticks
Unsalted nuts with raisins
Tea
Water

Snack:
Apple
Poppy seed biscuits

Tea:
Couscous with vegatables, lemon and chili
Cheesy roll with butter
Natural yoghurt
Green tea with jasmine


No comments:

Post a Comment